loser…

I said it in an earlier post that when you want to accomplish something, you need to think about it carefully.  You need to decide how badly you want it and consider what you are willing to sacrifice to achieve this goal.  Remember that most times in life there is a give and take no matter what situation you are involved in.  However, with most medical conditions this choice can be detrimental to one’s health and well-being.

Do you want fashionable athletic shoes or the hideous Velcro footwear?  The favorite sports shoes are stylish, but it takes your fumbling fingers longer to tie them then Thanksgiving dinner.  Do you want those spectacular high heels that make you look breathtaking along with that dress?  Or do you want to stand without continually falling because MS weeble-wobbles we are not.

There have been numerous losses in my recent MS life.  I have sacrificed plenty to accomplish all of the swimming that I have achieved.  I have lost the ability to stand and dress using the grab bar in my bathroom.  I now get dressed on my bed while pulling, rolling and generally playing tug-
o-war with my pants until they are on correctly.

There are other battles that I seem to be losing as well.  The first is between my feet and me as my outside ankle muscles are weakening by the day.  This deterioration causes my feet to rotate upward when in a spasm or a tired state.  I have specific exercises to aid my fight in this battle of one step forward and one step back.  I suppose that the good part is that my feet are not getting worse.  Sadly they are also not
a mild case
getting better.

Secondly, my hourly leg squats routine has diminished significantly.  I have great trepidation in doing these because of falls in the past.  It is great that I live alone because when I do fall it is not in front of people.  However, I will find a wife someday, and this solitary and secluded life of mine will change.

I would guess that this lessening of my routine is also partly due to the size of my new house.   My new home is over 1500 square feet compared to my old house at 1000 square feet.  Every point in my old house was extremely close to where I did my exercising as I did them in a central location.  Currently, the place that I spend the most time and where I exercise these points are at a considerable distance from each other.

The definition of a loser is a person who losses.  In this case, I know that I have lost some things and could technically be called a loser, but I have gained more than I have lost.  My losses though significant have been well worth the sacrifice.  At the same time, there have been several substantial gains as my body has become stronger.  My new upper body power helps me with everyday tasks and complications that I face both expected and unexpected.  Also, the emotional gains have been tremendous, and in turn, they too have been worth these losses.

If you do not sacrifice for what you want, what you want becomes the sacrifice.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Visibly invisible…

Not simply slight sadness…

No illness indictment this time…